Saturday, March 22, 2008

In The Tomb

Today Christ is in the tomb. All is darkness. The disciples are sequestered; depressed and confused. For all they know, all is lost. It's over. Probably racking their brains trying to remember exactly what it was he said about all this. Something about destroying the temple and raising it back up in three days? You will see me no more, but then you will see me? Something like that. What else? What else? The kingdom of God is within you. Uh, something about 'now I tell you plainly. I will be crucified, but I will rise again on the third day." Or in their grief, did they even remember that promise? He was actually, literally dead. He didn't climb down from the cross. Their messiah died like a man. Like any man. Just a man.

Such were the tortured thoughts of Jesus' disciples and most loyal followers today. I doubt that they were very hopeful. I think they wanted to be, but did they have it in them to pull it off? To really believe what he "told them plainly"?

Yesterday I was a bit in darkness. I had a bad attitude. I felt disappointed and angry with myself. For no apparent reason, I just didn't like myself, and couldn't muster a really positive thought. I allowed a little self-pity and today I can't for the life of me imagine what for. I am the most fortunate of women. More blessings than I could possibly list. Yet I actually shed a tear for myself yesterday. I am ashamed of that, but I am letting it go. What it may have accomplished is giving me a glimpse into the innermost hurt-thoughts of some people I know. While I don't want to give life to these negative attitudes by thinking too much about them, perhaps I can better pray for them, having felt the cold and damp of a tiny corner of their dark rooms.

I do pray for all those who are in the dark. I pray for the lonely, the angry, the brokenhearted, the vengeful, the spiteful and the hateful. I pray that this day of darkness will give way to the Resurrection of their souls by the miraculous dawn of Resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I pray that those in darkness will see the Light of tomorrow's dawn and Live.

Amen.

No comments: