Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Word for 2012

I recently read an article in Guideposts magazine by author Debbie Macomber that talked about choosing one word at the beginning of each year to "focus on and live by" throughout that year.   Some of Debbie's former words have been trust, brokenness, and hope. I had never heard of this practice, but since reading the article I have run across several more references to it, including author Julie Garmon, another Daily Guideposts contributor whose blog I have recently found.  She chooses a word too, and this year her word is surrender. (Ah yes, I know that one well.)  It seemed like a good idea to me.

 For 2012 I have chosen the word balance.  (Or it has chosen me.)

 I need to keep myself in check so that I don't run off in one direction for too long and with too great an intensity.  I sometimes get lost in a project, or internet search, or some sort of worry, or any number of other things and then find that I have used up too much of my time on that one thing, neglecting other equally important things.  So I need to balance out my days, and my concentration.

This really needs to be a conscious effort on my part.  In particular, I tend to neglect physical activities and instead pursue cerebral ones.  I neglect household duties in favor of creative pursuits. I put off personal contact with friends and family and stay inside my own head.  None of this is healthy, and I pray to God that He will help me with balance this year.

Lord, please teach me to balance work with play,
balance solitude with connection,
balance mental with physical,
and balance prayer with action.
In Jesus' powerful name, through whom all things are possible,
Amen

No comments: