Thursday, June 20, 2013

I Don't Want To Be The Elephant

Mother Teresa once said, "In this life we cannot do great things.  We can only do small things with great love."  This idea gives me hope.  When I think maybe I am not "doing enough", I try to remember this. 

I am also aware that I have a very human tendency to draw my ego into the large picture of sharing the Good News of God by imagining that I will one day write a best selling book about God for which I will receive great acclaim.  Or that I will perform some noteworthy deed that draws public attention to me.  You may have heard the expression 'the elephant in the room'.  Well I am learning to get the elephant named ME out of the room. 

So the thought came to me today, that if I am able, by simple obedience, to shine His light on just one person -  someone who sees and receives that same light - perhaps that will be the person who is in a position to shine the  light to hundreds or thousands of others.  And I think that is a much healthier way for me to imagine my role. 

In the meantime, I will joyfully tell everyone of God's mercy and generosity.  I will not hold back from shining God's light on all I meet.  With the help of Jesus, I will shine in any small way I can, with great Love.

---------------------

No comments: